Monday, July 6, 2009

Yesterday, all I did was write and eat watermelon. Well, that's all I did other than church and a quick stop at Home Depot (needed to grab paint before the sale went off) and Target (I was out of mascara, but ended up getting way more than I needed... shame, shame on me).

And I did something I haven't done in a very long time. Last night, I went back to work to write. It helps me focus.

One thing I don't like about working after hours... is it's dark.

Dark hallways.
Eep.

You know I've freaked myself out when, just as the elevator doors are opening, I think "if only I had my concealed licence."

That's serious.

In Exodus, the Lord tells Moses to stretch out his hand "toward the sky so that darkness will spread over Egypt--darkness that can be felt." (Ex. 10:21)

I could feel the darkness in the hallway, not in a sense of evil, or anything... just I could feel the dark. Funny how the absence of light can be something felt.

There are more verses like this, but... there's also this one...

"Psalm 18:11 He made darkness his covering, his canopy around him--the dark
rain clouds of the sky."

David sang this when the Lord delivered him from his enemies and from Saul. He talks about the Lord being his strength, his rock, fortress, deliverer. David takes refuge in God, he says. He's shielded by God. God is his salvation, his stronghold.

He writes about calling out to the Lord, and being heard.

Then... "the earth trembled and quaked, and the foundations of the mountains shook; they trembled because he was angry. Smoke rose from his nostrils; consuming fire came from his mouth, burning coals blazed out of it. He parted the heavens and came down; dark clouds were under his feet. He mounted the cherubim and flew; he soared on the wings of the wind. He made darkness his covering, his canopy around him-- the dark rain clouds of the sky." Psalms 18:7-11


He kept going: the Lord thundered from heaven, He shot his arrows and scattered (the enemies), great bolts of lightning and routed them.

The Lord took hold of him, David wrote, and drew him out of the deep waters, from those that were stronger than he. "He brought me into a spacious place; he rescued me because he delighted in me."

He continues saying that the Lord dealt with him according to his righteousness, according to the "cleanness of my hands he has rewarded me."

David says that he had never turned away from the Lord's decrees.

Oh, I have.

David said that he had been blameless before Him and had kept himself from sin... he keeps going

David had the law.

I am so glad. So very glad that I have Jesus and that he has cleaned me of my dirty hands so that He can bring me into a spacious place. He rescued me because he delights in me, the girl who dirties up everything.

Well, I wrote for a couple hours, did jumping jacks to get my brain jolted back on track... and when I absolutely had to move, I practiced clicking my heels together midair in the reflection of my wall of windows.

I'm pretty good ;-) Just like Singing in the Rain :-)

And I'm totally pumped to turn in stories.

2 comments:

Kat said...

oooh I loved this post!! I just bought a 90 days of David Bible study by Beth Moore. I am super pumped (esp after reading your blog)

dark hallways are yet another reason to buy a headlamp :)

i love you love


is your house for sale??

steph-a-ronie said...

no way, jose!!!

I love the little casa.
That's the only "before" picture I had :-)

I love love you!