Saturday, August 25, 2007

Sooo... I'm running a marathon.

No.


Oh, yes my dubious hombre. That's 26.2 miles.

Twenty-six POINT two.

And what's more, I'm running with a purpose... to raise $1,800 for blood cancers like leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma.

I teamed up with the organization Team in Training and am now one of bookoos running to be part of the cure.

I know, I know... This hasn't always been one of my issues. This isn't conservation or agriculture. And not only have I never been sick, I've also never watched a loved one battle these awful diseases.

But so what.

I know how many have.

-Every five minutes someone new is diagnosed with a blood cancer; every ten minutes someone loses their battle*
-Leukemia is the number one killer of children and strikes ten times as many adults.*
-And non-Hodgkin lymphoma is the sixth most common cancer in the U.S.*

Maybe someday those little tidbits won't be true, especially if you help me

I'm not good at fundraising.

Little known fact, the name Stephanie in Hebrew means "can't ask for a red cent."

Even in middle school I'm pretty sure my mom and dad had to buy my required "you must sell 5 items" from the band wrapping paper sale.

So, it got me thinking... Maybe, if I write about training -- what I'm learning, what I'm hating, what I wish would happen -- you'll feel involved yourself.

Maybe you'll learn something new.
Maybe you'll want to give (you can make a tax deductible contribution at http://www.active.com/donate/tntntx/stephaniejeter and help me meet my goal)
Maybe you'll want to help.
Or maybe I'll see you on the trail.

You never know, passion makes you do funny things... like wake up at 6 a.m. to run with the rising sun.

But if not, that's totally cool. The point of this journal is to make a connection.

Talk to you soon!!!!

P.S.- The TNT Web site is up for donations. I'll be making it prettier later :)


*cancer info from TNT

1 comment:

robin said...

that's amazing, steph.